The IT industry has been facing multiple challenges, even with the emergence of advanced technologies like AI, machine learning, and blockchain. Thanks to the long-faced challenges that are foreseen in future circumstances.
In this article published in ITSM.Tools, Daniel Card shares a list of challenges in the perspective of a CIO that may hamper the business growth if not addressed fast. He also brings forth some impactful ways to combat these challenges.
Businesses are best enabled by technology and its management is broad and deep. Millions of micropayments befall across a range of loose-end systems. Therefore, it is essential to recognize and manage them smoothly. Here is a list of approaches to combat challenges:
- Leverage Workshops: You can leverage on an array of sources to smoothly run, manage, and deliver knowledge sharing and training.
- Improvement Blitzes: Set aside time and resource to understand what can be improved and to deliver agreed improvements. So, allow ‘focus time’ to deal with known issues, providing a break from the normal flow of work. Also, focus on resolving issues that may slow down the whole process of work.
- Infuse Fun: Since employees spend a huge amount of time at work, IT leaders need to bring out the best from them. To bring out a good output, ensure that they have a passion to deliver quality. Infusing some fun elements in the monotonous work would bring desired outcomes. Engagement in a fun manner keeps people motivated and helps them learn more, using practical techniques.
- Marketing: Think about various channels to get your vision and delivery of service to business consumers. Use ‘drop-in days,’ to leverage social media, and produce a magazine or newsletter. Make sure you are feeding the business with information about the work that the team is doing in consumable formats. It is also essential to acknowledge the successful accomplishments of the teams and marketing is the best way to do it.
- Know Your Digits: It is important to realize that when you lead a team, establish a clear understanding of the operational landscape and the finances. You must have a broad-brush view on the breadth and depth of technology services the department provided. Also, see how these equate to the cost and the revenue potential of the organization.
The author believes that IT leadership and management is complex, and the IT service delivery landscape is changing at a fast pace. To succeed, IT departments need to break free of the traditional silos and old-school methods. Click on the following link to read the original article: https://itsm.tools/2018/05/15/6-tips-for-modernizing-it-management-and-delivery/