Large businesses follow ITIL to be at par with the industry norms. However, SMBs are not strict with standard processes and policies. Lack of resources and infrastructure stop them from following norms. In this article at Freshworks, Adithya Krishnaswamy discusses 5 reasons why SMBs should follow ITIL.
To standardize processes and bring consistency to the quality and delivery, UK government and large organizations created ITIL. It is a set of standards that the companies across the world follow for IT service management. Following are the reasons why SMBs should also follow the standard:
- Meeting Minimum Service Quality: Following IT Infrastructure Library and other standards will not set any company apart from others in the market. However, it sure improves processes to optimize delivery standards. Companies can use this ready set of standards to provide a basic industry-level service quality without overshooting their budget. It is also easy to install the tools and have a fully functional process in place in a few days’ time.
- Low-Cost Tools: Since the majority of the companies follow the standard, you can find ready-made tools with ITIL integration. ITSM tools were quite expensive otherwise as they were developed based on individual enterprise requirements. Only large organizations could afford the cost. Now, the tool prices have decreased. Vendors are ready to offer them as cloud services, something that the SMBs can afford.
- Resource Availability: Several professionals now have ITIL certifications to support a company’s IT systems. Though it does not make you an expert, you acquire the basic skills to control and maneuver IT systems.
- Measuring with Metrics: To understand if the IT systems are working as per expectation, the set of standards include references to measure them. Metrics like availability, mean time to resolve, and SLA compliance make measuring IT performance an easy job.
- Outsourcing: As usual with startups, the majority of the functions are done in-house. However, with this standard, you can easily outsource your functions as the IT suppliers can mimic your processes without difficulty.
To view the original article in full, visit the following link: https://freshservice.com/itil/small-mid-size-companies-care-standards-itil-blog/